multiple sclerosis mental health support

Mental Health Support

MS-UK is no longer able to provide a counselling service.

However, we do hold a directory of private qualified counsellors who have completed our Counselling People with MS training course. If you would like a copy of the directory, please contact our MS-UK Helpline. Whilst we cannot endorse the professionals on our list, we do ensure they are all qualified and have an awareness of multiple sclerosis (MS).

You can also check if your local MS Therapy Centre or local MS Society group offers it. Otherwise you can search for a therapist through the BACP website, or online counselling directories.


Counselling is a talking therapy. It allows you to talk and reflect in a confidential and supportive space.

Counsellors do not offer advice or tell you what to do but help you to talk about your experiences to make it easier to find a way forward.

Counsellors can help you to explore how MS may be affecting your wellbeing and how you are adapting emotionally.

Counselling can support you with MS related issues and may include

  • Anxiety, low mood or depression
  • Acceptance – coming to terms with your MS diagnosis
  • A relapse, change of symptoms or condition progressing
  • Impact on work, family, friends and other relationships
  • Emotions such as guilt, anger, low self-esteem and confidence

Building a relationship with your counsellor is important to get the most out of the process. It can take a number of sessions before you start to see change, but with support from your counsellor, the results can be very positive over time.

For more information on MS and Mental Health, please read our MS and Mental Health Choices booklet.

Need help right now?

Please find below some contact details below of organisations that you can contact in the case of an emotional crisis

  • Call NHS 111 – if you feel you are experiencing a mental health emergency then there is the option to be put through to the mental health crisis team in your area
  • Samaritans Call 116 123 (free) Email jo@samaritans Go to
  • Make an emergency appointment with your regular GP
  • Go to your local accident and emergency department or call 999 and ask for an ambulance if you are feeling suicidal, or if you have self-harmed and are concerned about it
  • Contact your out-of-hours GP service. Google ‘out of hours GP in x’ (give your location)
  • Alternatively, your GP surgery will usually provide an answer phone message advising you of who to contact in an emergency, together with other useful telephone numbers
  • Shout 85258 – offer 24/7 confidential text crisis support for times when you need immediate assistance. Text ‘SHOUT’ to 85258 or go to
  • Contact CALM (Campaign against living miserably) – Call 0800 585858 (daily 5pm to midnight) or webchat is available – go to