MS care services

Do you want to know about MS and care services?

One of the various subjects people contact our helpline team about is ‘care and support’. Our helpline regularly gives support to people taking initial steps to get help from others and often provides information about the care systems, services and support available in their area. We always do our best to make our support right for each person.

Coupling a difficult emotional journey and a whole new care system can be very challenging. Our helpline team are here if needed. We’re happy to work with you to explain the options and choices you have.

Although every individual’s journey with multiple sclerosis (MS) will be their own, living with MS can sometimes limit daily ability and make day-to-day tasks a challenge. This can mean they may need help and care from others around them. These changes may feel like a loss of independence, however, it is good to remember that all care and support services should promote independence, as part of their core values. Using care services should improve your independence and services should treat you with dignity and respect.

To help you know more, we have information on care and support. This has detailed information on how to access care. It covers, how to get a care needs assessment, what is included in the assessment and how to get extra help from an advocate if you need it.

This web page also covers care costs, and care charges and links to good information on purchasing and arranging care, which talks you through finding and checking the quality of care services.

Importantly, we have information on safeguarding and care services. Safeguarding means protecting health, wellbeing and human rights. Safeguarding should enable people to live free from harm, abuse or neglect. Safeguarding adults who receive social care is everybody’s responsibility, but professionals will have additional duties of care.

Our information signposts on how to find your local safeguarding board but if you have concerns about safety, either yourself or someone else, you can speak to our helpline. We will provide you with support and raise the issue with the appropriate authorities if needed.

You can contact our helpline on 0800 7830518, use the live web chat on our website or send us an email at