MS-UK Counselling is confidential and is for people who have a diagnosis of multiple sclerosis (MS) and live in the UK. It is the only service of its kind available in the country.
Counselling is a talking therapy. It gives you the opportunity to talk and reflect in a confidential and supportive space with a counsellor who is a member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP). MS-UK is a BACP organisational member and our number is 275169.
Counsellors do not offer advice or tell you what to do but help you to talk about your experiences to make it easier to find a way forward.
Your mental health and emotional wellbeing are linked to your experience of MS so our counsellors have had comprehensive MS training.
Counsellors help you to explore how MS may be affecting your wellbeing and how you are adapting emotionally.
MS-UK Counselling can support you with MS related issues and may include…
- anxiety, low mood or depression
- acceptance – coming to terms with your MS diagnosis
- a relapse, change of symptoms or condition progressing
- impact on work, family, friends and other relationships
- emotions such as guilt, anger, low self-esteem and confidence
Building a relationship with your counsellor is important in order to get the most out of the process. It can take a number of sessions before you start to see change but over time with support from your counsellor the results can be very positive.
You will have six sessions that are on the same day and time each week, last 50 minutes, and can be delivered over the phone or via a video link.
If you have a very specific issue you want to discuss with a counsellor then Single Session Therapy may be the right service for you. Learn more about Single Session Therapy here.
Need help right now?
Please find below some contact details below of organisations that you can contact in the case of an emotional crisis
- Call NHS 111 – if you feel you are experiencing a mental health emergency then there is the option to be put through to the mental health crisis team in your area
- Samaritans Call 116 123 (free) Email jo@samaritans Go to www.samaritans.org/how-we-can-help/contact-samaritan/self-help
- Make an emergency appointment with your regular GP
- Go to your local accident and emergency department or call 999 and ask for an ambulance if you are feeling suicidal, or if you have self-harmed and are concerned about it
- Contact your out-of-hours GP service. Google ‘out of hours GP in x’ (give your location)
- Alternatively, your GP surgery will usually provide an answer phone message advising you of who to contact in an emergency, together with other useful telephone numbers
- Shout 85258 – offer 24/7 confidential text crisis support for times when you need immediate assistance. Text ‘SHOUT’ to 85258 or go to https://giveusashout.org
- Contact CALM (Campaign against living miserably) – Call 0800 585858 (daily 5pm to midnight) or webchat is available – go to www.thecalmzone.net
How to register for counselling
To register for our counselling service, please click the button below, fill out the form and a member of our team will get back to you within 10 working days. You will be asked to agree to our counselling contract before being offered an assessment.
If you are a health professional referring a patient, please click the button below, fill out the form and a member of our team will get back to you within 10 working days.
In the meantime, if you need emotional support please contact the MS-UK Helpline for free on 0800 783 0518 during weekdays, between 10am and 4pm. You can also email them at email@example.com and talk to them via Live Web Chat. Please see contact details above for other organisations if you need help right now.
Have you already used MS-UK Counselling?
If you have already used MS-UK Counselling, we would love to know your thoughts about the service. Please take our evaluation survey online today.
MS-UK Counselling relies on donations and we suggest a minimum donation of £5 per session. Your counsellor will discuss this further with you during your initial assessment.
You can call us on 01206 226500 to make a donation using a credit/debit card over the phone.
You can donate a one-off gift of £5, £10 or £20
Text MSUK5 to 70456 to donate £5
Text MSUK10 to 70456 to donate £10
Text MSUK20 to 70456 to donate £20
You will be charged £5, £10 or £20 by your network provider plus one message at your standard network rate. MS-UK will receive 100% of the donation.
By texting your gift e.g. “MSUK10” to 70456 you are agreeing to us contacting you by phone and SMS to tell you more about our work and how you can support it. To give without receiving further contact by phone and SMS, add the word ‘NO’ e.g. ‘MSUK10 NO’ to 70456. 100% of your text donation will be received by us. You must be 16 years old or over to send a text donation. For full terms and conditions click here.
You can donate by posting a cheque. Please make your cheque payable to MS-UK and send it to MS-UK, D3 Knowledge Gateway, Nesfield Road, Colchester CO4 3ZL.
You can make a donation directly to our bank account. Please put your name and the word ‘counselling’ where possible and email firstname.lastname@example.org once payment has been made to our bank account.
Our bank details are:
Account name: MS-UK
Account number: 41623508
Sort code: 402310
You can make a donation online using the box below. Donations are received via PayPal.