Victoria sponge cake recipe
Hosting a bake sale for MS-UK? Follow this simple Victoria sponge recipe to get you started and have this classic crowd-pleaser at your event!
Don’t forget to download the cake flags in our Easy Ways to Fundraise pack! You can select the specific page in your printer settings or the whole pack for even more inspiration.
The MS-UK Fundraising team is here to support your fundraising journey. You can call 01206 226500 or email email@example.com with any questions that you have or support you may need. The team will be able to send out a collection pot or set up a QR code for you to receive donations at your bake sale.
- 200g caster sugar
- 200g softened butter
- 4 eggs
- 200g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp milk
- 100g butter, softened
- 140g icing sugar, sifted
- Vanilla extract
- 120g strawberry jam
- Icing sugar to decorate
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 5/190˚C/170˚C Butter two 20cm cake tins and line with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar and butter until smooth. Add in the eggs and mix again. Once combined, add the flour, baking powder and milk. Mix until a smooth batter forms.
- Divide the mixture into the two tins. Tap gently onto the worksurface for even distribution of the batter in the cake tin and smooth the top.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown on top and the cake springs back when pressed. Leave to cool on cooling rack.
- For the filling, beat the butter until smooth and gradually add in the icing sugar. Add a drop or two of vanilla extract to taste.
- Spread the butter icing on the bottom layer of the cake and top with jam. Add the second cake on top and dust with icing sugar to finish.